Benefits of the course
- Key safeguarding terms and definitions, including Transitional Safeguarding, Criminal Exploitation and Contextual Safeguarding.
- Thresholds, assessment and protection processes (adults, children and young people)
- Managing professional disagreements
- Planning and decision making
- Principles of effective safeguarding
- Criminal exploitation and stages of grooming
- Cuckooing – use of rooms for criminal enterprise
- Online safety and the Dark Web
- Sexual abuse and violence
- Policies and procedures
- The importance of using appropriate language
- Applying Professional Curiosity
- Enabling and supporting disclosure
- Whistle Blowing, Domestic Abuse and Radicalization
This aim of this course is to support the continued professional development of those with Designated and Lead safeguarding responsibilities. It will increase knowledge of key terms and definitions.
The course will enable delegates to better manage the challenges specific to transition to adulthood and applying threshold assessments and protection processes across the spectrum of adults, children and young people. It will develop skills in managing professional disagreements, applying effective decision making and planning in response to identified safeguarding risks. It will increase knowledge and awareness of Criminal Exploitation, Criminal Enterprise, Domestic Abuse and Radicalisation within college and university settings.
It will enhance knowledge and skills in respect of online safety, sexual abuse and violence, use of appropriate language and applying professional curiosity when enabling and supporting disclosure. The course also reinforces the value of supervision in supporting staff commensurate with the challenges and demands of their role.
See Topics Covered
Course Aimed at – All staff in colleges and universities with Designated or Lead safeguarding responsibilities and their deputies; including staff from contracted services, student representatives and volunteers.
Laptop with audio and video access is required for all virtual training.