Benefits of the course
- Examine strategies, assessment and interventions tools used in working with families where neglect is a concern.
- Describe the role of early help and preventative services to assess, engage and intervene with families where there has been early identification of neglect.
- Apply evidence-based observation tools to analyse the parent/child relationship at different stages of the child’s development (birth to 4, 5-12, 12 plus).
- Contribute to the assessment, intervention, and review of neglect cases.
- Recognise the effects of neglect on children with disabilities which otherwise can be mistaken for other conditions.
- Use the Strengthening Families Framework to assess and identify risk and protective factors, strengths, further areas for assessment and historic factors which may identify transgenerational neglect.
- Develop child centred, multi-agency intervention plans to work with the family, which clearly identify both short- and long-term goals and clear measurable outcomes.
- Apply the resilience/vulnerability matrix to analyse the lived experience of a child who is living with adversity, and the protective factors required to promote their resilience.
- Work in partnership with families.
- Feel confident in applying models and tools to assess parental capacity to change, and to review/monitor that change over time, particularly for families who have experienced transgenerational neglect.
- Establish mechanisms, through supervision and peer support, to embed learning into practice
This one day course will provide participants with the necessary tools and skills to evaluate a child’s lived experience of neglectful care and apply specific intervention strategies to safeguard and promote the child’s development.
Participants will understand that the process of assessment, analysis and intervention must be within the child’s developmental timeframe so that, with positive changes to their care, they can recover from neglect and thrive.
This training can act as the update or fresher required for Level 3 compliance with the requirements of statutory or professional organisations.
See Topics Covered
Course Aimed at – Childcare/Early years staff, GP’s, Healthcare, Mental Health staff, Child psychologists, Child psychotherapists, Adult learning disability staff, Youth Offending team staff, Acting DSL’s, Police
Laptop with audio and video access is required for all virtual training.