Benefits of the course
- Equip professionals with the knowledge, skills and confidence to gather, record and analyse evidence.
- An overview of the history of child protection works and why agencies work together.
- The processes and procedures under section 47 enquiries including outcome timescales.
- An understanding of good multi-agency working and the need for good communication with children and families as well as professionals. As well as an understanding around the different roles other safeguarding professionals may have to work under.
- Understanding the initial joint visit to a child or young person and gaining some skills that will assist in the communication that will be required of professionals. Such as questioning styles and techniques for communication (aids etc).
- Local and national guidance as well the impact on investigations and roles of other professionals involved including immediate safeguarding and planning such as Police protection and Emergency protection orders and such like.
- Procedures and the need for good evidence gathering and recording of such evidence by professionals as well as risk management that would be involved and need considering.
- Strategy discussions and Initial case conferences and timescales differences in criminal and family court.
- How to seek guidance and advice including second opinions in cases around legal and medical issues.
- Overview of ABE interviews planning and preparation.
- A basic overview of FII/HBV/Forced marriages and under 1s protocol.
This three day course is aimed at social workers responsible for planning and conducting child protection enquiries as per Section 47 of The Children Act (1989).
The course will equip professionals with the knowledge, skills and confidence to gather, record and analyse evidence. After completing the course, attendees will have a good understanding of the importance of multi-agency working, communication and questioning techniques (ABE), local and national guidance, good recording practice, risk management and outcome timescales.
Course Aimed at – Social Workers undertaking S47 child protection enquiries
If you are undertaking virtual training, please be advised that access to a laptop with audio and video are required.